Any parent may submit a complaint. Complaints may be either submitted verbally or in writing to the related person. The following sequence of procedures is expected to be followed before filing a level IV written complaint to the school board:
If a parent has a classroom-related complaint, which can be dealt with by the classroom teacher, that teacher should be the first contact either by
- E-mail to the teacher
- Written note to the teacher
- Via appointment to speak with the teacher about the problem
If the parent, after having spoken with the teacher feels that the teacher did not address the complaint, the parent should contact:
- Building Principals for complaints regarding academic or teacher related issues
- Building Assistant Principals for discipline related issues
If the Building Leaders have not addressed the complaint to the complainant’s satisfaction, the complainant should submit a written complaint to the school Director/CEO. The complaint will:
1) Be written and signed by the person filing the complaint.
2) Should specify the school rule or guideline, law or regulation being violated and the related issue, problem or other concern.
3) Should contain information/evidence supporting the complaint and state the nature of the corrective action desired.
The Director/CEO should have an opportunity to respond before it is taken to the school board. The Director/CEO will respond to the complaint within 7 school days.
A parent may go directly to the Board of Trustees with a formal complaint, bypassing the Director/CEO.
If the Director/CEO has not addressed the complaint satisfactorily, the Board will discuss the complaint in its next scheduled meeting and will advise the Director/CEO on the related issue. The Board will respond to the complaint within 30 days.
If the Board has not addressed the complaint satisfactorily, the complainant can file an appeal to the authorizer, the Board of Regents.
Director/CEO: Mehmet Demirtas – [email protected]
Board Chair: William Middleton – [email protected]
Charter School Authorizer: Albany Office, 518.474.1762 Fax: 518.474.1405